City of Belfast, Maine
Deputy Tax Collector/ Deputy Clerk
The City of Belfast is looking for a full-time Deputy Tax Collector/Deputy Clerk. The position reports directly to the City Clerk. A candidate for this position should have graduated from high school or have a (GED), training in office practices, record keeping, exceptional organizational, and customer service skills. Municipal experience and Notary Public preferred but not required. Applicants must be U.S. Citizens, residents of the State and have the ability to be bonded. The job description may be found on line at the City’s website at www.cityofbelfast.org
No calls or drop in visits. All applications must be submitted before 5:00 p.m. on August 5, 2021 to the City Clerk’s office. This position will remain open until filled. All applications should include a letter of introduction, a completed Belfast Employment Application form (found on web site under job openings) and a resume. E-mailed submissions will be considered. Applications should be in a sealed envelope and addressed to:
City of Belfast
131 Church Street
Belfast, Maine 04915
Attn: City Clerk’s Office
The City of Belfast is an equal opportunity employer.
*SEE BELOW FOR JOB DESCRIPTION*
CITY OF BELFAST
Deputy Tax Collector/ Deputy Clerk
General Statement of Duties
At the direction of the City Clerk and City Treasurer, assist in all matters of Clerks’ duties and Tax Collectors’ duties as outlined in the Maine State Statutes, City Ordinances and the City Charter. (Assume duties of the Clerk/ Tax Collector in his/her absence)
Duties of the Job:
- Provide excellent Customer Service to the general public, city staff and co-workers.
- Provide secretarial support to City Clerk and Tax Collector that requires proficiency in; cash receipting; data input; office practices, filing, and knowledge of office machines.
- Perform end-of-day cash ups with accuracy and proficiency.
Such as: Annual Victualer, Special Amusements, Coin Operated, Taxi, Bed & Breakfast, Pawn Shops, Parade, Itinerant Vendors, Junkyards, Lunch Wagons, Off-premises Catering, Bingo, Certificates of Mercantile, Liquor license applications and other licenses of expiration date.
- Courteously answers telephones, take messages or transfer calls to other departments located within City Hall as well as assisting inquiries that are non-city related.
- Issue annual Hunting - Fishing - Dog Licenses.
- Preserve, file, make certified copies (birth, marriage and death records), issuance of marriage intentions/licenses; genealogy research, file search, maintain monthly vital records for annual reports, and order appropriate supplies.
- Issue Licenses and Permits as outlined in the City Ordinances and Charter.
- Organize and maintain all inventory needed to run elections.
- Extensive voter registration computer entry, along with filing.
- Regularly monitor office supplies and storage areas.
- Perform duties and tasks as assigned by the City Clerk and Treasurer.
- Annual property tax billing; and bi-annual sewer billing processing and mailing.
- Bookkeeping of accounts used for both City Clerk and Tax Collector functions.
- Researching mortgage holders from the Registry of Deeds on all unpaid tax accounts.
- Sending certified letters to both land owner on record and mortgage holders, for unpaid tax/sewer accounts.
- Assisting customers in registering vehicles, boats, ATVs and snowmobiles.
- Assisting customers with questions or issues with any information pertaining to City business.
- Filing any and all documents required by State Law.
- Processing any and all payments due to the City of Belfast for all departments.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Vital Records Administration through training.
- Maintain an accounting system suitable for municipal accounting and professional auditors.
- The knowledge or, after adequate training, be able to assist in the election process.
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with the public daily.
- Ability to work in a fast paced atmosphere with many interruptions and changes.
- Ability to prepare accurate and complete reports of tax collections on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Maintain a positive and professional working relationship with the public and co-workers.
- Willingness to accept work as directed.
- Take initiative to learn aspects of jobs performed in Clerk’s office, and the Tax Collectors office (ability to cross train mandatory).
- Ability to adapt and accept change on a regular basis, as well as accepting constructive criticism from Supervisors.
- Considerable knowledge of State Statutes, City Charter and City Ordinances.
Information directed by various agencies, offices, or related units.
- Ability to utilize various types of electronic and manual programs used for recording
- Minimum Qualifications: High School Diploma or equivalent with above average office experience (typing, grammar and computer proficiency)
- Notary Public.
- Desirable experience: Municipal preferred, but will consider work experience.